Germany, 4 countries in a day, Spain and Egypt

April 14, 2012 - Cairo, Egypt

On reflection, the snow was absolutely sensational. Laying in bed that night, I felt like a kid at Christmas. Watching dogs run through the snow having the time of their lives, even though they can't really life their legs, watching small children (and fully grown Aussie adults) have snow fights, watching the snow fall from the trees on unsuspecting bystanders when the weight of the snow was too heavy for the branches - it was all so much fun. I've always wanted to have a white Christmas in Europe and now - after a day frolicking in the snow - I really want to do it and soon, there is something very magical about the snow. Of course there are some annoying parts, icy paths, transportation issues, stupid people with umbrellas, but as someone who comes from a place where the only snowfall was at the Ice Arena until the mid 90's, it was still more fun than you can imagine.

Leaving Fussen after the Neuschwanstein castle was almost a bit sad, and the closer we got to Munich, the less snow there was in the surrounding area. We arrived in Munich at 8pm, and it was very cold and we were pretty hungry. Julian decided that he enjoyed Augustiner so much the night before, so we would go there again. They served beer, so I didn't argue (though I did remember that I'd stolen a stein the night before, although it was stolen, it enjoyed my company as much as I'd enjoyed its and it seemed the right thing to do). We ordered some more pretzels, more beer and more shweinshaxe, and this time a bit of roast duck for something different. The food was rather tasty again, and the beer as good as I remembered (though my memories of the night before were a little hazy!).

After dinner, it seemed the logical thing to do to cross over the road and visit the world famous Hofbrauhaus for a cleansing ale. The Hofbrahaus is massive; it would have to seat 500 people no dramas, and its uber busy. We managed to find a table, Jules and I ordered a litre of beer, Lex a litre of Radler and Alana abstained - how un-Munich that is! The beer was good, not Augustiner good though and it was more expensive. I'm glad that we went in and tried it, but Augustiner wins hands down.

From there it was a tipsy walk back to the hotel, where we surfed the net for a while, uploaded some photos and retired to bed. The next morning was declared a sleep in morning, as nothing in Munich was open, check out was at noon and our flight wasn't until 7pm.

When we finally got up, we walked into town, did a bit of souvenir shopping, climbed to the top of the Peterskirche and took in the views of Munich, ate some lunch and then went to the English Gardens and watched the surfers. Yes, that's right, surfers in the middle of Munich! There is a river that flows through the English Gardens, and it flows quite quick, and in one point there is a wave like formation and it's packed with crazy Germans in full length wetsuits surfing - quite a sight to see.

We then caught a train to Theresewiesen, the park that is home to Oktoberfest, just to see what it is like when Oktoberfest is not on. It is just a huge, empty space, which was sad for me to see, as I'd had so much fun last time I was there.

It was then time to start the trek to the airport, so we walked back to the hotel, grabbed our bags and got them ready for the flight, walked back to the Hauptbahnhof for dinner (everyone had Burger King except me, I went for a bratwurst and some roast pork in a roll), and boarded a train for the airport.

We'd allowed ourselves about an hour of spare time just in case something went wrong, and 15 minutes into our journey, our train stopped and the driver announced something about fire. Turns out a building right next to the train line was on fire, but lucky we were only delayed 21 minutes, so we still made the airport on time.

The flight was quick and uneventful, but we were greeted in Cologne by rather heavy and persistent rain. We used the subway to get to our hotel, before nervously checking in. "Nervously, why so?" I hear you all ask, well I will tell you. We were staying in the Park Inn Cologne, a very highly rated and usually expensive hotel. For some reason, when I was looking at Cologne hotels on, the Park Inn came up at 24 Euro per night, so I booked it without hesitation as it was normally around 150 Euro per night. When you book with, you don't pay until you're at the hotel, so we're sure they'd say there was an error and try to charge us a fortune. Sadly for us, the guy at the desk just gave us our room keys and didn't ask for payment - now we'd have to wait 2 days to find out what they were going to charge us.

Upon entering our rooms, we were greeted by space - rather unusual in Europe, and a very swish, modern hotel room with a free Bosch Nespresso styled coffee machine and a heap of little touches that did not belong in a 24 Euro per night room! As we would be hiring a car and doing a lot of driving the next day, we thought it wise to don the wet weather gear and see a bit of Cologne by night, even if it was 9:30pm by now. We caught the train to the Hauptbahnhof, walked out the exit and there was one of the biggest and most impressive churches you'll ever see right in front of the station - the Cologne Dom. It was enormous, and took forever to walk around. We walked around the city and the Rhone riverfront a little more, before deciding enough was enough in the weather and finding our way back to our plush hotel. I grabbed a Goffer Kolsch beer for the journey home, the local brew and it was rather scrumptious.

We were up bright and early in the morning, catching a train back to the Hauptbahnhof to pick up our hire car for the day. We scored a near new VW Golf station wagon, and boy was it a nice little car, it had a raft of little things that made life easy, including inbuilt SatNav, although sadly they'd only loaded the German maps on, and we were headed out of Germany. Luckily my little Motorola Tablet came in handy as I'd preloaded some GPS Navigation software and the maps for all of Europe on it!

Our first destination was the Netherlands, Tilburg to be exact. Alana's family originally came from Tilburg, so she wanted to see what it was like. The drive took about an hour and a half, and we arrived just at the rain - which hadn't stopped from the night before - started to get heavier, so the wet weather gear went back on and we walked around. There is only 1 place in Tilburg that sells souvineers, the Tourist Office, so that was our main mission, to find out. Luckily, the city is well signposted and before we knew it Alana had her arms full of Tilburg souvineers! I even purchased one myself, a statue of a man with a jar. The Tilburg people are known as the piss-jar people, as the city used to be a key wool processing city and they used urine for the process and each worker was given a jar each night and required to bring it back full the next morning, so I purchased a statue of a man with his jar, which is the city mascot!

By this stage, not having stopped for breakfast as Julian had promised, we decided on an early lunch. First we tried some pastry items from a Dutch bakery - a Superfrikadel broodje, a Worsen broodje and a Supersaucijs, which are basically Dutch versions of sausage rolls. Next stop was Febo and its vending machine kroeketten and some pommes frites with mayonnaise, before finally sharing some giant heap of meat called a grillworst that weighed over 300 grams yet only cost 39 cents and was surprisingly tasty.

It was then time to bid farewell to Tilburg, and the Netherlands, with our next destination Brussels in Belgium. We stopped at a McDonalds for a toilet stop, and they had a McKroket for just a Euro, so we bought one, each had a bite, then threw it away (because we were full, not because it was bad, but we only purchased it for the novelty!). Before long we crossed the Belgian border and said hello to country number 3 for the day!

The tablet GPS Navigation was set to the city centre, but a few kms out it become apparent that traffic in Brussels is terrible and the Belgians are possibly the worst drivers in the world, and after watching a few new misses and taking in some of the most bizarre traffic patterns in the world, we noticed we were near the Brussels Gare du Nord train station and decided that would do and found a park! It was still pouring with rain, so the wet weather gear was on and Jules was still shaking his head as we walked down the hill to the station at what he'd just witnessed, but things were about to get worse! The Gare du Nord station in Paris is shady, but it has nothing on the Brussels version. Some of the dodgiest people you'd ever want to see were hanging around the station, and I had the tablet tucked into the coat of my pocket, and upon seeing this one of the dodgy chaps started following me, quickly disappearing when Jules walked next to me and he realised I wasn't alone.

It was almost impossible to find a public transport map in the station, and when we hit the Tram section we finally found one and worked out we could take a tram. We found the right platform, only to be greeted by a sign that said trams wouldn't be running today. So, we went back to the train section and just went to every platform until we found one that went to Brussels Central station. Once at the station, the weather decided to really let loose and the rain was now pelting down.

Our trip to Brussels was going to be a quick one, and we'd allowed 2 hours from the time we parked the car until the time we returned to it, and we'd already wasted nearly half an hour getting to the Station, but boy did we cram a lot into the next 90 minutes! We saw St. Marians church, St. Michaels church, the giant Brussel Sprout and all of the impressive buildings of the Place du Petit Sablon, including the royal residence. On top of this we shopped for souvineers, ordered some famous Belgian chips and mayo, enjoyed some delicious hot Belgian waffles, purchased some fine Belgian chocolates and even a Belgian cherry beer! It was thoroughly exhausting, but we made it back to the car precisely 2 hours after we'd parked - Brussels in just 2 hours, and though we may have barely scratched the surface, we felt we'd seen enough to get an idea of what it's like. If anyone ever goes to Brussels, my advice is do not enter from the Gare du Nord or drive in! After the shaky start, it turned out to be a lovely city with very friendly people and fantastic food. One of the souvenir shop owners even got out his wallet to show Jules his wife and kids and gave the girls a free memento - a statue of a little boy peeing, which is a famous landmark in the city. I bought a bronze version of this little boy to keep my Tilburg piss jar boy company! What is it with these Europeans and glorifying peeing!

The 90 minutes of madness rushing around Brussels was soon followed with 90 minutes of trying to get out. The traffic was horrendous, well below walking pace, and the 2 kilometres we had to travel to get back on the highway took us 1 hour and 45 minutes and we were not impressed. What was impressive was some of the driving maneuvers that Jules pulled off, including driving down a tram track and creating his own special turning lane at one stage!

We ate a little bit of the Belgian chocolate to celebrate getting out alive, and then it was off to our next destination and the 4th country of the day - Luxembourg! Luxembourg was a last minute decision, but we figured we had time, a car and were nearby, so why not drop in and see if the Schleck brothers were about (Luxembourgish cyclists Andy and Franck Schleck are heroes of mine!).

Luxembourg was a complete contrast to Brussels, and when we arrived at 8:30pm at night we were pretty much the only car on the road, finding a park right in the heart of the city! We put the wet weather gear back on again, and set about exploring Luxembourg by foot. It's a very pretty city, with some stylish castles and old city buildings, and it didn't take long to cover by foot as it's rather small! We did discover that nothing was open, so our souvenir collection would sadly be lacking something from Luxembourg. By the time we finished walking around we were quite peckish, and having joked earlier about having Luxem-burgers for tea that night, we discovered that only McDonalds and a rival chain called Quick Burger were open. We chose Quick Burger and discovered that it is not quick, but at least it wasn't McDonalds and many jokes about Luxem-burgers ensued.

Getting back to the Schleck's, Andy is by far the most well known, having finished 2nd in the last 2 editions of the Tour de France (being awarded 1st place in 2010 after Alberto Contador was stripped of the title for testing positive to clenbuterol, a banned substance) but Franck is a very handy rider in his own right. Given the size of Luxembourg, we were sure we'd bump into one, and then we started making jokes about Franck being at the train station trying to give out his autograph and people asking if he knew Andy and jokes of that ilk - they aren't that funny, but a combination of the rushed pace we'd set all day and the fatigue that went with it had us laughing hysterically as we piled back in the car and headed back to Cologne.

We arrived back at Cologne just after 1:30am, having travelled nearly 1000 kilometres and had coffee in Germany to start the day, brunch in the Netherlands, lunch in Belgium and dinner in Luxembourg - that's a decent day out in anyones book!

By the time we all finished packing and went to bed, it was nearly 2:30am and we had to be up at 4:30am to catch our flight to Barcelona! The 2 hours sleep seemed to end before it began, and blearily eyed we returned the car to the train station, caught the train to the airport and checked in for our Germanwings flights to Barcelona. When the guy at the check in desk asked who owns the bag on the conveyor belt, Lex answered "me", and this guy literally lost it with laughter - he kept flicking through the 4 boarding passes we'd given him and said "hmmm, I cannot find a me, are you sure you'd don't have another name". We didn't think it was that funny, but he did, and that in itself was funny and with very little sleep we too were laughing heartily.

After leaving the check in desk with the man still laughing, we made our way to the security screening, and once through one of the guys tried to chat Alana up! He started flicking through her passport, then went through her bag and said he was just looking for fun. Then he pulled out her book, asked what it was about, said his friends in security couldn't read and he was the only one who could, even though Jules was standing next to Alana - there are some strange people at Cologne-Bonn airport at 5 in the morning!

It was then time to board our plane to Barcelona and bid Auf Wiedersehen to Germany after 8 days in the country. Germany is not really seen as one of the must-do tourist destinations in Australia, but it should just about be top of any list of European countries to visit. The food is fresh, tasty and free of preservatives that blight our food, the people are happy to speak English with you and are very helpful and the sights are amazing. We were sad to leave, as even I was starting to get a handle on the language and we were all feeling at home in Germany. I'm sure we'll all be back at some stage.

The flight was fine, and we were met with blue skies and a warm 18 degrees upon arrival at Barcelona - finally we could ditch the thermals and jackets and break out some short sleeve tops! We landed just before 9am and there was a bike tour of the city we wanted to do that started at 11am - 2 hours should be enough time we all thought. The walk from the airport to the airport train was about 3 kilometres, then the train ride took forever, and when we glanced at the station list that the train would call in on, we noticed the stop we were heading for wasn't on it. We quickly worked out an alternative stop, and when we got off the airport train to catch the Metro train to near out hotel, we discovered the Passage de Garcia stop for the airport train and the Metro train aren't actually the same and there we no signs to the Metro station...very handy! We walked at street level, chose a direction and a few hundred metres away we found the Metro - very lucky! We jumped on the Metro, found our stop and exited the Metro on La Rambla, the main strip of Barcelona. A quick walk through a confusing maze of narrow alley ways, with several stops to consult the map and scratch our heads in confusion along the way and we'd arrived at our Hotel, the Pensio Alamar.

The hotel was actually on the 1st floor, so after buzzed in to the building we took the lift 2 at a time as the lift was tiny. We then opened the door to 'Reception', which was actually the lounge of the owners! We were then shown to two of the tiniest rooms you could ever imagine, with a bed that was barely wider than a single, a basin and very little else! Cosy is one word you could use to describe it, prison-cell like would be another description that would also fit. Alana, never having stayed in this style of European accommodation, looked a little freaked out, but this place was cheap, clean and right near all the main sites of Barcelona.

We got changed into some lighter clothes and raced to find Placa St Jaume, where we hoped to meet up with the Fat Tires Bike Tour at 11am. We arrived at 3 minutes past 11, but luckily they hadn't left and we'd made our tour! Our 4 hour bike tour cost just 22 Euro each and our guide Buda (his real name) gave us 2200 years of Spanish history in 10 minutes and then took us to all the major sites of Spain - La Sagrada Familia (a giant church that was designed and started by built by Gaudi, the famous Barcelona architect who also possibly had a serious drug addiction as his designs are unique, if not ugly), Palau de la Musica Catalana, Cathedral of Santa Eulalia, the Arc de Triomf, Basilica of Santa Maria, Reials Drassanes , the Bullfighting Arena, Palau de la Generalitat, the Barcelona Zoo and countless others. Barcelona, particularly the old city or El Gotic as they call it, is fascinating, quirky and impressive. Our bike tour ended on the manmade beach (with real Sahara Desert sand!) and tapas and sangria in the sun....ahhhh, what a life!

Buda then told us that the tour was over, but for just 20 Euro a person he was running a paella, tapas and sangria cooking class that night, and Julian was very keen, so we all signed up! We had a couple of hours to kill, which we passed by watching Julian buy more souvineers (he's like a souvenir addict this bloke, despite proclaiming he wouldn't buy one on the whole trip!), and then it was time for the class. As is the way in Spain, we were there on time, but Buda (who is Australian by the way, but has been living in Spain for 5 years) told us he'd be about an hour! We decided to have a drink in the bar, though we could only buy non-Spanish beers which was a little disappointing.

Finally the class was underway and we watched as Buda made Sangria, and then passed it around for everyone to try. Then it was paella, as Buda used the biggest paella pan you'll ever see and filled it to the brim, as we drunk more Sangria. We then made our own tapas, with the Catalunian tapas being bread, with garlic, crushed tomato, olive oil and salt (add some basil and you've got yourself Italian bruschetta!), and a platter of chorizo, jamon and manchego and drank more Sangria.

The rest of the night is a little hazy, we met a family of 6 - the Fairweathers - from Sydney and drank Sangria with them, we ate Paella, talked some more, drank some more Sangria, then drank half beer half lemon Fantas for the rest of the night - or so I'm told! We stumbled back to our cells, and had a sleep in the next night.

The next morning we walked back to the fresh food market to rustle up some breakfast. We bought a large bread stick, a packet of manchego cheese, a packet of sliced chorizo and a cone of jamon - yep, they sell their meat in paper cones! The total cost of this breakfast for 4 was a whopping 5 Euro! We also bought fresh juices for a Euro eat, and sat down to eat one of the freshest and tastiest breakfasts you could ever imagine - the flavours were amazing and we were all very satisfied by the end of the meal.

We then took the metro to the base of Montjuic Hill, took the funicular half way up the hill, then got on the cable car to the top of the Hill for the best views over Barcelona. We took some photos, Jules bought more souvineers and someone we'd managed to kill 3 hours there! The best part was on the journey down on the cable car when an alarm started going off, then the cable cars stopped (while we were on it) and phones and buzzers were going off everywhere - rather scary. It was time to find some lunch, and a Menu Del Dia - a meal where you get an entree, a main, a dessert, a basket of bread and a bottle of wine, all for very little money. The place we found was just 9 Euro each, and we dined on paella and lamb soup for entree, steak and chicken for lunch and all got the Flan (Spanish Creme Caramel) for dessert - what a bargain!

After lunch we walked the length of La Rambla, checking out the Christopher Columbus monument and then headed to Park Guell, a park where Barcelona's favourite drug taking architect/artist Gaudi went nuts with a whole heap of strange looking monuments, all covered in mosaic tiles. It was quite a hike to get there, but it certainly wasn't interesting. We then walked back to the train station, with Jules buying yet more souvineers, and headed to the Palau Reial - the Royal Palace. After some of the grand buildings we'd seen, expectations were high, but it was exceptionally underwhelming - no wonder the Royals moved out! From there we walked to the Nou Camp, home of the Barcelona Football Club. It was pretty big, but they wanted 24 Euro to go inside for a tour, so we just wandered around the outside.

By the time we got back to our hotel, it was 8pm and we were starting to get peckish again. Though not really what the locals in Barcelona would eat, there were a lot of tapas bars around and it is very Spanish, so we decided to head out for tapas for dinner.

There was supposed to be some good ones in the Placa Saint Josep Oriol, so that was where we headed and we chose one called Bar Del Pi to start with. We ordered some cervecas (beer) for the boys, a cider for Alana and a vinegar for Lex that they tried to pass off as wine, and then tried to decide what food to eat. We ended up ordering 5 tapas dishes - peppers in salt, calamari, tortilla, croquettes and patatas bravas. The food was good, but the rest of the menu was a bit weird, so we walked two doors down to a place called Pa Tapas. Two more beers for the boys were ordered, while the girls chose the sangria, which was served in a large vase - at least that's what I think it was, it was huge! To eat we went with more tortilla, sizzling chorizos, more peppers in salt, some manchego cheese and some jamon. Well, we actually ordered croquettes as well, but they never made it - this is Spain after all.

The food was absolutely delicious, so while we enjoyed some more drinks, we decided to order some more. We ordered the croquettes again, some olives and a jamon and brie panini . The croquettes arrived this time, but instead of the panini we received just jamon!

Then it was dessert time, and they had a machine that was full of thick, rich hot chocolate, so we ordered 2 hot chocolates with cream and 2 with sponge biscuits. The hot chocolates were amazing, thick, warm, chocolatey and so tasty. We also ordered a waffle with condensed milk and hot chocolate to share, and it too was delicious!

We left feeling very full, but very happy with our tapas experience, and Jules and I decided to have a glass of sherry at a bar on the way home to celebrate the night. Sadly, they only had dry sherry, which was pretty awful, so we moved onto a glass of Osborne brandy, one of Spain's best, while Lex got a mug of straight Bailey's - I don't think they realised that you should only receive a little bit in your glass! The brandy was delicious, and with that we declared it a night and headed back to our cells.

The next morning was our final morning in Barcelona, and we went out for churros and hot chocolate for breakfast, which was a very good way to start the day! We walked around the city a little more, Jules grabbed himself some final souvineers from Barcelona (he must have 1 of everything they sell in this city!) and passed our last few hours walking La Rambla. Our flight was at 3pm, so we grabbed an early lunch - heading back to the fresh food market for more bread, chorizo, jamon and manchego, and again it was fantastic.

It was then time to check out of the hotel and make our way to the airport, ready for our flight to Cairo - something that was both daunting and exciting! None of us had any idea what to expect in Egypt, but plenty of the guides we read said it was dangerous, which had us a little worried!

We landed in Cairo, couldn't pay for our Visas in Egyptian Pounds which was slightly annoying and were accosted by all and sundry trying to scam us for a taxi, but luckily our hotel had arranged pick up.

Our driver whisked our luggage off to the car, loaded it on the roof and we hit the streets of Cairo. What else can you say about Cairo streets but wow. Chaos, noise, mayhem and a disregard for road rules, that's Cairo. It had a feel similar to being in India. The best part was when we drove past a huge crowd of people waving Egyptian flags and chanting for a Jihad - yep, the protesters are back - we just hope they don't turn violent this time.

We were dropped at our hotel and greeted by the hotel owner Mohammad, who's English was perfect and his knowledge of Cairo and willingness to help amazing. We booked in for a tour of the pyramids including the light show for our first day - how exciting! We were hungry, so asked Mohammad where we should eat and he recommended Abou Tarek, a restaurant around the corner that serves the best koshari in town. Koshari is Egypt's national dish, consisting of rice, macaroni, lentils, chick peas, fried onion and tomato sauce. You don't order at Abou Tarek, there is only one dish! The koshari sounded a bit strange, but it was fantastic, and you get the best rice pudding ever for dessert! All this for 13 Egyptian Pound (2 Aussie dollars!). We walked back to the hotel through some very shady streets, satisfied that we'd at least got out and eaten local food on our first night.

We tried to sleep that night, though it wasn’t easy on the incredibly hard bad with the incredibly thin mattress, not to mention the noise, but we got a few hours so it wasn’t all bad. We were up early the next morning, with breakfast in the hotel at 8am. Breakfast being a bread roll, a laughing cow cheese triangle, some halva and a boiled egg. Interesting, but it filled the stomach, and we were then piling into the car the hotel had organised to take us on a tour of the pyramids. The total cost for the driver and car was 340 Egyptian pounds (about 55 Aussie dollars) for 12 hours! You can’t complain about that.

Our first stop was the Saqqara pyramids, the most famous of which is a giant 4500 year old step pyramid called Djoser. It was pretty impressive, though the Egyptians had copied what everyone in Europe does and covered it in scaffolding! We went inside the pyramid, which sounds cooler than it is as it was cramped and dark, we had to use an iPhone as a torch!

Next up was Dahshur pyramid, an old and large pyramid that you could go down into the tombs. Again, there was no light inside, though apparently if you tip the tout at the door who is trying to force you into one of his paid doors they’ll turn the lights on…who knew! The pyramid was impressive, but by this stage the heat and the touts were really starting to get on our nerves. Hundreds of touts try and con you into tours or paying for photos, and they even pretend to be ticket inspectors to steal your tickets. You are forbidden to take photos inside the pyramids, but of course this doesn’t count if you tip the tout you are with. Sometimes they even accuse you of taking a photo and demand money.

Our next stop was to be the famous pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx, but first our driver wanted to take us to a perfume factory and then a papyrus factory – more tout stops. The perfume factor ushered us into a little room and gave us a spiel about their fragrances that lasted about half an hour. Sadly, their stuff was really good, so we ended up buying some which goes against my beliefs, but it seemed worth it. After that though, we decided to tell our driver we weren’t doing the papyrus factory and take us to lunch. He suggested a buffet, but we’d be warned against eating buffets if we wanted to remain healthy, so we asked him for no buffet. Of course, he dropped us off at the most expensive buffet restaurant in Cairo, but we stood our ground and only purchased an overpriced drink each.

It was then time to hit the Giza pyramids, or so we thought. We were dropped at a travel agent who tried to sell us a tour by camel, but we stood our ground. In the end, they offered a 2 hour tour by carriage of the pyramids and sphinx with a promise of not letting the touts near us and prime viewing position for the sound and light show for 180 pounds each (the tickets alone would cost 135 pounds), so we decided to do it.

Our two hour tour was full of contrasts. It was hot, noisy, full of awful tourists blatantly ignoring the culture, touts and in some ways it was underwhelming. On the other hand, it was awe inspiring, majestic, incredible and you felt so privileged to be looking at one of the great wonders of the world.

We saw the Great Pyramid (Khufu), the Pyramid of Kharfe and the Pyramid of Menakure, and we also saw the Sphinx, which was ultra impressive. Our tour guides spoke good English, took lots of photos for us, got rid of the touts and gave us loads of information. Despite the negatives, we all really enjoyed the day, but it wasn’t finished – there was still the night spectacular to come! The pyramid complex closes at 4pm and the sound and light show isn’t until 7pm, and having had enough of being hassled by Egyptian touts, we decided to walk to the Pizza Hut near our tour guides office. Yes, it’s western food, yes it’s fast food, but we were so sick of being hassled, and it’s not every day you can eat pizza with a window overlooking the pyramids! We ordered a heap of pizza and wasted the next hour and a half chilling out in the cool and gazing at the pyramids.

We then walked back to our tour guides office, where we were sent up the stairs to the roof to watch the sunset and the sound and light show. The sunset was obscured by the smog and the clouds, and when the sound and light show finally started it was somewhat underwhelming, but it was cool to see the pyramids all lit up.

From there, it was back to the hotel, a quick walk to grab some cold drinks (including some coke to have with Jules vanilla rum – a stiff drink is needed sometimes in these situations) and a night on the internet!





April 16, 2012
Your blog is addictive and very distracting!! ;-) But am following your journey and adventures with much entertainment and utter jealousy!
April 17, 2012
How very exciting it all sounds! Your blog is fantastic as usual... where are we off to next? I have always wanted to see the pyramids... your stories have taken me as close as I will probably ever get! Thank you xxx Keep safe, Love Mum xx
April 24, 2012
Am loving reading this from my hospital bed - passes the time well. Plus the nurses all want to know what happens next too!! Just want to ask what you ended up getting charged at that hotel? Am so jealous but glad to hear your having fun xx
Fuzzy Travel · Next »
Create blog · Login