Not even the washing to do

July 17, 2016 - Oban, United Kingdom

Sunday morning in Oban and we slept through the church bells. When we pulled back the curtains the day looked even more bleak than yesterday. Certainly it seemed colder and it had been raining a little heavier for most of the night. We headed down to breakfast with some enthusiasm and managed to stretch cereal, tea and toast, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs (Max) or sausage and baked beans (Margaret) over a pleasant hour and a half. The Dining Room was busier today but we had a table by the window and could watch the mist waft in and out and the ferries to Mull and the smaller isles passing by. The Mull ferry is a large vehicular ferry and the passage it takes to the north seems improbably narrow. There was a couple of younger Australians at a table nearby who spoke in quiet tones and we also heard that delightful tinkling laugh from last night - thankfully THEY were in the other room.

After lingering over breakfast we returned to our room to search for things to occupy ourselves. Today we had no washing to organise and most of the journal entries and photos had been sorted. I played around with a couple of photos to add to the journal but essentially we were just delaying the inevitable. Eventually the arrival of the housekeeping staff stirred us into lethargy (from comatose I think). We grabbed cameras and outdoor wear (regretting the fact we had left the Icelandic beanies and overpants at home), took the car keys and dragged ourselves to the door. Even the receptionist thought it was a bit silly.

When we arrived on Friday the car park and the street outside was full but now the car park and most of the street was empty. Does that mean everyone else has headed out to do stuff or are they driving home after a weekend in Oban. Probably the latter we agreed. We walked up the esplanade to our car and settled in while it warmed up. First stop, Pulpit Hill, we told Miss Direct and then in typical fashion drove off in the wrong direction toward Ganavan Beach, ignoring Miss Direct's entreaties to 'Where possible, perform a U turn'. 

There were a couple of cars in the parking area at the beach, a dog walker on the beach and one intrepid person returning from the water. Yes he was wearing a wetsuit!

So after a look at the beach we now followed instructions and headed towards town again and followed the one way section to the southern end where we took narrower and narrower roads and lanes as we wound up to the top of Pulpit Hill  for a look at the view. We could see the ferry terminal and even the other side of the bay; Kerreran Island was visible as well but that was about the limit. On a good day the Orientation Table may have shown us more than mist and low cloud. Perhaps another day. From Pulpit Hill we retraced our steps toward the hotel and decided we would go on to Dunollie Castle.

The car park was empty  (there was one other vehicle) but we walked hopefully to the Ticket Booth. Opening hours 1pm to 5:30pm so we were just an hour early. While we were standing there a woman came down to begin setting out the signs and things in preparation for opening and she said we could walk through the gardens while we waited.

At least the rain had eased back to a fine mist again and the wind was decreasing as well so off we trotted along the garden path. It was a well maintained path and there were good explanatory notices but it was more of a woodland park than a garden. We continued our personal tour by walking up the steep path to the remains of the castle keep (mostly standing) and outer walls (mostly robbed) where we had a view toward Oban and probably Pulpit Hill. It was a pleasant stroll and we thought we had seen all that we wanted to see so meandered back to the car and returned to the hotel.

The hotel car park was still empty so we tucked our car into the back corner where it should be safe from damage if the area fills up. (We had also seen signs on the street to say there would be 'No Parking' on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so we had to move the car somewhere and with the return of good weather we will be on a boat trip on Tuesday.)

Not much else to do today but stay out of the rain and watch the passing ferries from our room.

By late afternoon the clouds began to lift and we fancied our chances of walking out for a meal at a different restaurant tonight. We looked over the menus for a few places as we walked along and ended up at Coast Restaurant which looked as if the menu was good and there was room inside. Sure enough they found us a table and took our coats. They had a Light Meals menu as well as their a la carte Dinner Menu. It all looked pretty good but we chose sirloin steak for me and lamb rump for Margaret from the dinner menu. Mine was absolutely delicious but Margaret swears hers was better; it certainly looked good. We enjoyed the meals with a bottle of cabernet sauvignon from the Languedoc region in France and then Margaret had a raspberry drambuie parfait while I had local cheeses with our coffee.

We walked back to the hotel via the north pier past some of the other restaurants to see what they had to offer but perhaps because we had just eaten a very good meal the offerings were not very inviting.

The light drizzle began as we walked along the waterfront. It wasn't heavy but by the time we had spent 15 minutes walking in it the water was beginning to run of jackets and brollies so we were pleased to get inside for the night.


A wet window on the world
Watching the ferries go by
The harbour from Pulpit Hill
Even the sheep seemed a little cold

1 Comment

Sue Bonjer:
July 18, 2016
the photos tell the story, you would think it was the middle of winter, though it probably snows then. It does look lovely though, I hope these pesky clouds roll away soon. It certainly looks warm and sunny in Lisbon.
Fuzzy Travel · Next »
Create blog · Login